ENG 162 Fall 2013

ENG 162 at Eastern Maine Community College in Bangor ME, taught by John A. (Don't ever, ever ask!) Goldfine johngoldfine@gmail.com

Friday, August 23, 2013

Week 1 Part 3. Prompts: Know thyself....

Prompts 1-4, Week One.

React to three (3) of these on your own blog, not here.

Here's where you strut your stuff, show your goods, and blow us all away with your prose, insights, wit, wisdom, madness, clarity, logic, poetic feeling, or whatever else it is you bring to creative non-fiction.

Don't take the prompts too literally: they aren't test questions or punchlines; they are springboards for your writing. Each week's prompts are an attempt to figure out a way to help you get into the week's theme, which this week is you. It's pretty hard to do anything with the prompts below without using yourself as a source and tool.

Take a step back from your daily hassles and concerns. That's why I start you alone in a room, however unlikely that is in your real life. So that you will stop, think about you inside and the world outside, and then imagine a response that involves and does justice to both.

What do the prompts remind you of? What feelings do they bring up? Are they like something else? Is there a story you remember, an incident? Or what--? But again and again, and all semester again, --these are not test questions and I'm not looking for answers.

Prompts 1-4. Choose three.
1. Alone in a quiet room. Listen. What do you hear?
2. Alone in a quiet room. What do you see?
3. Alone in a quiet room. How did you get here?
4. Alone in a quiet room. But what's really happening?

A bit more: first, the prompts are meant to match up to the week's themes. They need a little thought. Second, they (and the weekly theme) are the real meat of the course. They're your shot at writing creative non-fiction. I have expectations and hopes for them and hope that you do too. I will certainly comment on each one, and I may kick them back for more work.

If because of missed classes you ever need more prompts, here's where you can find them:

http://onemillionfootnotes.blogspot.com/


6 Comments:

Anonymous Felicia G. said...

When I was little, I was sometimes given little journals in which there was enough space to write the outline of the day's events. Since I had them, I tried using them, but it always fizzled out in the end. After a while, I would forget or just not bother to write and, by the time I got back to it, I would have forgotten what happened on each day and just wrote "had fun" for as many days as I had forgotten. This was so common a comment I abbreviated it to "hd fun" (bound to happen because most of my comments were abbreviated anyway). I always gave up in the end until next time I got one. When I was ten, I got one long enough to write the whole day down in and since I had the journal, I once again tried keeping one. It took days to just get three quarters of the day down, so I ended it with "Since I write slow and for other reasons"… (that was as far as I got.)
Well, I certainly have more patience and a little more speed when it comes to writing now. It’s only for a week. Surely I will not have resort to “hd fun” in such a short time frame.

Monday, August 29, 2011 1:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Felicia G. said...

I think this was supposed to go with the journal part

Monday, August 29, 2011 3:51:00 PM  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

Sorry, felicia--my screw-up. The prompt reactions go on your own blog, not here. Faulty directions, my bad--if you will move this to your blog when you have it, I will comment there and then.

Monday, August 29, 2011 11:27:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So as a non fiction creative writing class, is this supposed to be a room we've been in alone? I suppose no one would really know if we made up the room in question....But, just checking.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 1:05:00 PM  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

If your fingers are on the keyboard, emily, you should understand that there is an electrical hookup to my house so that I can read the amount of perspiration on the fingertips. YOur keyboard is a LIE DETECTOR!

Try to keep it as close to factual as possible, but OTOH, it is CREATIVE nonfiction so there is a little leeway. Maybe.

Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:44:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooops, was this supposed to be three separate prompts or were we meant to include three of the four suggestions into one prompt. I'm a bit confused and hope I didn't only do 1/3rd of the assignment.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 11:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com
Free Message Forum from Bravenet.com Free Message Forums from Bravenet.com