ENG 162 Fall 2013

ENG 162 at Eastern Maine Community College in Bangor ME, taught by John A. (Don't ever, ever ask!) Goldfine johngoldfine@gmail.com

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week 8. Vignettes

Let's you try something extremely straightforward and extremely useful, particularly when incorporated in longer pieces. That is the short literary sketch or vignette (pronounced 'vin-yet,' emphasis on the second syllable.)

Here's the online definition--the very first item I got when I googled 'literary vignette': "A vignette is a short, well written sketch or descriptive scene. It does not have a plot which would make it a story, but it does reveal something about the elements in it. It may reveal character, or mood or tone. It may have a theme or idea of its own that it wants to convey. It is the description of the scene or character that is important."

The key word here is 'sketch.' There are artists in this class, and I hope as I stray into your territory I don't say anything too stupid (feel free to slag me with a comment if I do). An artist does a sketch, a quick sketch on the fly without a lot of concern, to tap his deepest instincts, to find out what his eye is registering, to reconnect with his basic apprehension of the world's light & shadow, shape, form, mass, line, and presence.

Later, there's time to consider, to add and subtract, to use artifice, to color and so on--but the sketch in pencil, charcoal, ink is the first and freshest look, the one always there as a guide to the original impulse and inspiration.And what you're sketching is something to do with "character, or mood, or tone."

It's a quick in-and-out, a minor production that has to immediately ravish with its quick insight but not maintain or sustain itself.I'd like you to try writing vignettes for your theme material and also to try using the prompts as springboards to vignettes.

As for sample vignettes, try this for a quick portrait: http://porcelain40deuce.blogspot.com/2004/11/week-eleven-theme-response-distancing.html

Or this from my blog: I think it describes a scene in a way that creates a bit of character, mood, and tone--it is not a narrative, however because there really is no story at all:

Sept. 19. The wind was whipping down Pitcher Pond toward Ducktrap, not enough for whitecaps though, and, despite nervous noises from someone I first met 41 years ago this month, I launched the rowing canoe. Scoot jumped in without hesitation; he's always ready to head out. Chloe dithered a little, couldn't quite pull the trigger and found herself left on shore, racing along the beach with her eye on us.

We headed back in and this time, when she had her chance, she took it, and then we all three pulled for the island.Scoot stood on the bow thwart balancing and keeping an eye on the passing scene--he's only ever tumbled in once. When I see him up there, benign and watchful, I always think of this book one of the first I ever remember reading (Reading level according to the librarians: baby to preschool.)

Scooter is my Scuppers the Sailor Dog, the dog I've wanted to have ever since I was six or seven.One of the reviews on Amazon asks: "Is there a more charming picture in children's literature than Scuppers the Sailor Dog standing on the prow of his little boat, dressed in wet weather gear, with a spyglass to his eye?"My answer is no, there is not, but fine as the illustration is, it pales next to the actual sight of my Scooter with his forepaws on the gunwale of the blue Old Town Discovery.

After I'd pulled a few strokes, got my rhythm, and could feel how much the wind was going to let me dig in and use my back and knowing Scoot was behind me alert to problems and Chloe was in the bilge alert to Scoot's alertness, for a few seconds there my brain flooded my mind with endorphins, the body's natural high, and I was purely happy. Just for a few seconds.Then I thought, "God, this is perfect," and, as soon as I had a thought, even a happy thought, the endorphins dissipated.

I was still glad to be out on the water with my dogs, but that first thrill of a drug hitting the brain was gone.We circled the island, slid back with the wind, still having to pull quite a bit to keep the boat from yawing, and then we were back at camp, the dogs excited as heck to see Mumma who had been out of sight for a half-hour now. Seeing Mumma is always a thrill for me too, but I'm a little past the crazy-waggling-my-rear-end stage.


Late-break: here's this week's (4/22/06) prompt reaction from Amy Cross in Eng 101 (Amy is an ENG 162 vet), a perfect vignette:

Tonight I’m sitting in the dark trying to type by the light of the computer screen. I don’t want the neighbors to see that I’m still awake. I’m afraid that one or the other of them might tap on my door hoping for some respite from their eternal fighting. It starts the minute that she pulls in the driveway after work and doesn’t stop until one of them tears away in the little red car. I hate that I have to sit and listen to the horrible names that they call each other and the brutal threats that they make against one another.

Every day is another battle in their war. The same shots are fired with the same precision as the battle before. The voices get raised to the same crescendo in the same manner. Even their physical positions are unchanged. She stands in their doorway with the yellow light behind her and he paces betweens his broken down truck and the stairs. Occasionally, one of them throws something in the other’s direction and whatever it is will lie there through the night like a soldier’s boot on a deserted battlefield. In the morning their three year old daughter plays with it while her mother loads the car.

The bluebird of happiness flies over the battlefield and lands on a boot left behind.


Here's a risky vignette--risky in topic or approach:

A Sign at the Whistle Stop, or Credit Card Penny Candy

There is an odd convenience store downtown next door to Ben’s Paint and Wallpaper Store. I think it is called the Whistle Stop or maybe the Caboose, I don’t exactly remember but I’m sure it takes its name from its proximity to the downtown Gloucester commuter rail stop. Sometimes when I am at Ben’s I’ll run next door to pick up a pack of cigarettes or even a can of Zig-Zag tobacco, and maybe a newspaper. The thing that makes the Whistle Stop so unusual is what it carries…and what it doesn’t. There are no cupcakes, Ring Dings, no Glamour or Seventeen or People. No designer water, no discount water and no lottery tickets. I don’t think they even sell sodas or chips of any kind. I always thought that soda was to a convenience store what liquor was to a restaurant, “where we make the money”. Instead, they sell tobacco products, newspapers, penny candy, which now is more like three for a quarter, phone cards, a few leathery old sundries, and dart parts. Yes, dart parts. You can get the tips, various knurled brass fittings, and the feathery tail end things, everything you would need to assemble your own set of darts. The dart parts are mostly housed in a glass case below the phone cards.

I stopped in recently to pick up a can of Zig-Zag, and found the store unusually busy. There was a swarm of youngsters at the counter and one or two people kind of standing in line behind the kids. It was hard to tell who was in line because there was so much buzzing around and a woman had positioned a stroller so you couldn’t tell if it was just indiscriminately parked or was holding a place in line. She was wandering nearby, but not as close to the stroller as you would expect. I positioned myself as though I were in line, sort of. As I watched the swarm of kids more closely, I was able to slowly piece together who they seemed to be and what they were up to. They appeared to be brothers and sisters, the oldest two were girls, probably about 15 and 17. The other three were much younger, and were all so blond and pretty that I couldn’t tell which were girls and which were boys, but I’m sure there was some of each. I may have been so enamored with the beautiful teens, I simply lost my other basic powers of perception for a few moments. The swarm looked as though they had left the family compound at Eastern Point or Annisquam on their own for an excursion downtown for candy or ice cream.

To admit that the two long-legged teens were mesmerizing makes me a bit ashamed at my age. They were like lovely pies just about to come out of the oven, as the lacy crust bakes to a perfect color brown and the apples begin to turn soft and sweet. I watched as the woman behind the counter counted out the pieces of candy and dropped them into a couple of brown paper bags, ringing in numbers periodically on the cash register. It seemed to take a lifetime, and I tried to watch the counting and the girls with a casual, but I’m sure completely transparent, air of indifference. I thought of Lawrence Ferlinghetti for a fleeting second, and to pass the painful amount of time it took to count and bag each piece of candy I found myself trying to recall “…The candy store beyond the El is where I first fell in love with unreality…her breasts were breathless in the little room…outside the leaves were falling and they cried too soon, too soon.” That was as much as I could remember. Candy and breathless breasts. Oh yes, and leaves. My God, please help me.

When all of the candy had been totaled up the store clerk announced, “That’s twenty dollars and sixty cents.” In my day, that would have bought a year’s worth of penny candy for me and all my buddies, but who wants to hear that? The oldest of the blond temptresses, or so they now had become as I tried not to study them too intently, pulled a credit card out from her wallet. The clerk told her they did not take credit cards, so the girls started digging through their pockets for cash. As the digging became less and less fruitful and the murmuring between the two girls increased, it became apparent they were ill-prepared to pay for twenty bucks worth of, dare I say it again, penny candy. I couldn’t see much of the candy as it was bagged, and the only ones I could quickly remember from my childhood were Mary Janes, root beer barrels, jawbreakers, tootsie rolls, and the little Turkish taffy bars. Even the candy has changed now, dyed with colors more otherworldly than the pinkest of bubble gums and wrappered in pictures of spaceships and bionic beings. At that moment the woman with the strategically parked stroller stepped up to the counter and offered to pitch in some money to help the move the transaction along. I am not sure if she was a total stranger, but the offer was accepted with so little fanfare that I guess she was somehow acquainted with the girls and the rest of the brood. Alternatively, she just really wanted them to move on so she could finish her business at the Whistle Stop. I don’t’ know.

The temptresses gathered up the smaller kids and the candy and left the store. I saw them get into what must have been Grammy or Grampy’s Oldsmobile outside, but no grandparents were waiting in the car. The eldest got into the drivers side, started it up and off lumbered the old Yankee tank. When I finally made my way to the counter I splurged and bought my can of Zig-Zag and one package of Lucky Strike. Both seemed so out of place, this place, any place. The Luckies were part of the uniform of returning world war veterans and James Deans, the loose tobacco the emblem of young, roll-your-own reefer renegades, all living long before credit card penny candy made its debut.

Copyright (c) 2006 by sag


Remember--sketch, not a story....

2/9/12--Late note: a lot of times if you cut off the first and last grafs off your piece, leaving it a little mysterious in origin and a little hanging or ambiguous or indeterminate in its close, you will find yourself with, voila!, a vignette!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I thought the vignettes were cool. Usually I try to over-do a piece and I think to much about the fancy words and the detail. So it was fun and pretty easy to kind of shorten up the piece. I actually liked the way I wrote more!

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggbootswebsite.com/]cheap uggs[/url][/b] The good thing is that you just normally have several tasks to be the proprietor of your area. The vast majority of the main ATM corporations offer turnkey options, which means they choose treatment of almost everything from set up by way of repair and communications. All you may need is usually a doing work telephone line and an periodic journey on the area financial institution..

[b][url=http://www.uggsbootsoutletmarket.com/]uggs outlet[/url][/b] But a telephone reserve listing would not tell you whatever in regards to the high quality of service you are able to be expecting from your plastic surgeon about the other conclude of that phone phone. Rather of on the lookout in the cell phone ebook, the world wide web may very well be a better reference in your case. On the internet, yow will discover critiques of various surgeons and even see before and following images of some of the surgeon's people..

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonhandbagsu.com/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] The handheld handbags, with straps or handles, are held only from the hand. Utilized for style reasons and for strolling, these handheld handbags are more compact compared for the other handbags. The tote bags are predominantly used for informal reasons. From your over debate, we are beginning to see--albeit superficially--some connections amongst arithmetic, religion, and God. Gödel's perform assisted present that arithmetic is a person significant leap of faith. But we see proof of this leap of faith all through us.

[b][url=http://www.bestlouisvuittonbags.co.uk/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] Beginning in 1888, the designer's bags had been out there within the Damier Canvas. Equally Louis and Georges labored on the design and style, which bears marque L. Vuitton deposee, the French technique for declaring trademark L. It really is normally louis vuitton¡¯s strategy to mass item a bag sample in the event the original version is properly received amid its supporters and this is the same situation with this particular Wilshire bag. You can however remember the colour popping monogram vernis Wilshire handbag that released during previous trend season. This manner period of louis vuitton 2010 drop winter season is complemented that has a total assortment of Wilshire bag in monogram canvas and it is sized gm, mm and pm respectively.

[b][url=http://www.uggsonsalewebsite.co.uk/]ugg boots outlet[/url][/b] Watch in the first glance, you may consider this Louis Vuitton Knightsbridge Bag crafted in Damier canvas somewhat dressy due to its form. To me, I was attracted by its name with the very beginning. Could it be one thing connected with knight? Afterwards I found out that it requires its title from the fashionable place in London, and its shape is impressed by basic doctor bag..

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonbeltsoutlet.co.uk/]louis vuitton sale[/url][/b] Suggestion multitude 2 - Make your eyes get noticed. How would you make your eyes jump out without the need of sporting simply call lenses? Believe that it or not, the coloration of your hair will make persons eyes stick out. When you've got green eyes and you have darkish red hair, then these eyes will likely be standing out.
four Cross promotion encourages believe in and dependability. This marketing strategy aids your shoppers to find out that other firms trust you, plenty of to get them to sector even your products and products and services. This bodes properly in your image. After the vodka as well as the espresso are additional this is where the many variants occur into play. A lot of people want to add a splash of Grand Marnier, though other recipes demand Tia Maria or Amaretto. Even chocolate liqueurs is usually extra in the event you desire the flavor of a mochaccino into a frequent espresso.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwebsitesofficial.com/]www.louisvuittonwebsitesofficial.com[/url][/b] To not point out, it seems for a quite common kitchen's, though using the contained updating stand table topStage 5Look carefully within the inexpensive lv purses stitches while in the wallet. Inside the reasonably priced louis vuitton indoor, there traits monogrammed linen filling using a solitary chiseled back again pocket, a single specific zipped trousers pocket and another cellphone pants pocket. He 5 numerous has suited to twenty five actions then one cellphone insurance coverage plan about 7 steps within the 1st two preseason online games.
I alwaysrecommend to aid firm they discover a weblog site discussingtheir offer coupled with selections together with submit on it louis vuitton shop severaltimes within a 1 week. When you've got any issues regarding your private overall health or even the wellbeing of your respective little one, you ought to normally check with with a health practitioner or another health care qualified. Be sure to overview the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use ahead of utilizing this web site.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonoutletsvip.com/]louis vuitton bags[/url][/b] It appears the scope of what symphony can potentially encompass is extremely vast. Naturally, there are simple similarities of musical variety. To get a really very long time quite possibly the most unique characteristic of symphony being a music genre was the sonata sort during the initial movement.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonhandbagsoutlet.ca/]louis vuitton canada[/url][/b] When you've got utilized or been employing the MetaTrader, you could possibly become experienced with the language in the software to come up using your individual currency trading program. Though you aren't utilizing this system to carry out automated investing, it can be a significant studying gizmo to widen your familiarity with the indictors. You can expect to incur enormous loss should you be incapable of comprehension the code..
At times,Price reduction Coach Purses you are going to observe an actual extensively regarded just take the top position wearing Herve Leger strapless check out an honor get alongside one another on Tv, at this stage, it truly is standard, you concentrate on. Should you have any concerns regarding your very own wellness or maybe the health of your respective little one, you ought to usually consult with which has a medical doctor or other healthcare qualified. Please overview the Privacy Policy and Phrases of Use ahead of employing the site.

[b][url=http://www.uggbootswebsite.co.uk/]ugg boots uk[/url][/b] If you supermom, getting time for extra rest is amazingly important. After i 1st discovered that I used to be pregnant, I'd to help keep reminding myself that I needed to sluggish down and relaxation more, together with heading to bed earlier. I resisted somewhat until eventually I found out that i'm anticipating twins.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[b][url=http://www.uggsoutletshopus.com/]uggs outlet[/url][/b] Principal Burberry Bags also to totes are usually overpriced and yourself must put in air bomb values. Nevertheless now have very similar methods and products of such chanel purses so you is not going to pretty quite possibly consist of the aptitude generate within the differentiation. Its not essential to pay out views spitting out price levels as well as quality need to not be designed up.

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonbagssalenow.co.uk/]www.louisvuittonbagssalenow.co.uk[/url][/b] Bags in brown frivolously with each other with ebony suit with garments for almost any tone. In the event you not have a lot time and power to arrange numerous totes for the regular being wearing, subsequently charcoal not to mention gentle brown purses and purses needs to be your most suitable possibility. This valuable match could certainly are environment off the distinct gradations out of your colors involved with pores and skin shade and furthermore garments..

[b][url=http://www.louisvuittonwalletsmall.com/]louis vuitton wallets[/url][/b] The mechanical watchmaking issues invented by Franck Muller are intended and developed while in the heart of workshops. Each and every year, a lot of recent versions are manufactured by Franck Muller. Inside the sphere of watchmaking actions, Franck Muller imaginative talent is unique in fashionable historical past.
There are several teams to choose from and you also can also start your own private. At the time you have got joined a bunch, participate by introducing for the discussion; this is actually the way you might make added contacts. Really don't be shy, help with the conversation and introduce your self..

[b][url=http://www.cheapuggsonlinesale.co.uk/]www.cheapuggsonlinesale.co.uk[/url][/b] Camel situation is greatly used in Visual Primary, C++, and Java programming. XBRL specifies that XBRL syntax have to be camel Instance. XML is cas . However, when patrolling the streets of Los angeles are ready for drunk motorists and other people during the park is great. This is why, the cops are constantly in command of the problems. Can depart from the Asian motor vehicle fans, these types of as recent mods.

[b][url=http://www.bestbagsonlinestore.com/]louis vuitton handbags[/url][/b] Each individual one of us has at least ever dreamed of possessing a novel bit of goods embossed with Louis Vuitton emblem due to the fact it can be not merely a symbol of elegance and nobleness, but additionally a veritable emblem of cultural standing and recognition. The Louis Vuttion Monogram Miroir was created by Marc Jacobs to the fall 2006 runway assortment. Wait lists for this line started in July, and lots of persons who reserved bags months back will not be able to buy them.

Saturday, December 08, 2012 5:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohisiv http://www.mocanadagoosejackets.com jlvufo http://icheapbeatsbyddre.com dyemmp http://www.mocanadagooseoutlet.com wbxuri http://socheapbeatsbydree.com zswoax [url=http://www.mocanadagoosejackets.com]canada goose[/url] uojmy [url=http://icheapbeatsbyddre.com]beats by dre[/url] ohoarm [url=http://www.mocanadagooseoutlet.com]canada goose outlet[/url] vgenl [url=http://socheapbeatsbydree.com]beats by dre[/url] xaeykh [url=http://palouisvuittonoutlet.com]louis vuitton outlet[/url] qccuex [url=http://pa-louisvuittoncheap.com]louis vuitton outlet[/url] hjpl

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zypsys http://www.mocanadagoosejackets.com pvliyo http://icheapbeatsbyddre.com ispjxj http://www.mocanadagooseoutlet.com bpbjzv http://socheapbeatsbydree.com lqowxu [url=http://www.mocanadagoosejackets.com]canada goose outlet[/url] drmhl [url=http://icheapbeatsbyddre.com]beats by dre[/url] msgfas [url=http://www.mocanadagooseoutlet.com]canada goose outlet[/url] bgmkx [url=http://socheapbeatsbydree.com]beats by dre[/url] vvcdwh [url=http://palouisvuittonoutlet.com]louis vuitton bags[/url] zncfvg [url=http://pa-louisvuittoncheap.com]louis vuitton sale[/url] kxsx

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dlhuen http://www.mocanadagoosejackets.com vwntkc http://icheapbeatsbyddre.com lqnznm http://www.mocanadagooseoutlet.com drynvc http://socheapbeatsbydree.com rqsdkx [url=http://www.mocanadagoosejackets.com]canada goose outlet[/url] fubtc [url=http://icheapbeatsbyddre.com]beats by dre[/url] xgarme [url=http://www.mocanadagooseoutlet.com]canada goose jacket[/url] lvhku [url=http://socheapbeatsbydree.com]cheap beats by dre[/url] wlloot [url=http://palouisvuittonoutlet.com]louis vuitton bags[/url] czueow [url=http://pa-louisvuittoncheap.com]louis vuitton bags[/url] xcjf

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 1:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com
Free Message Forum from Bravenet.com Free Message Forums from Bravenet.com